Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Stephy Watched Miss Sherlock

 

 


 

About/Summary

A Japanese gender-swapped version of Sherlock Holmes. Oh, that sounds like an anime plot, but it's not!

 


Content/Trigger Warnings

Murder

Child Murder

 Torture

Brainwashing

 


Characters/Casting

This version of Sherlock is pretty unhinged. And I enjoy a good unhinged Sherlock.

Characters were slightly different than how they are usually portrayed. I guess. I mean, this version of Mycroft actually gets along with Sherlock.

This version of Watson (Wato) was... She was okay. Not bad, but not my favorite version of Watson (that honor goes to Lucy Liu as Joan Watson)

 


Adaptation?

This is a Sherlock Holmes adaptation, but Japanese. Names are different but it is still noticeable who some of the characters are.

Sherlock Holmes adaptations are hard to judge. I don't think this one follows any of the old stories, not sure as it has been awhile since I read anything besides Hound of the Baskerville. The characterization of Sherlock is good. But, Wato seems a bit more meek than Watson. But it's not bad.

As an adaptation I would say it's not bad, but it's not exact.

 


Plot

 Each episode focuses on a mystery that Sherlock has to solve, with Wato trailing behind. There is also an underlying plot (the Moriarty plot) going through several of the episodes.


Costuming

I adored Sherlock's outfits. And did get quite distracted by her shiny heels at one point... She could stab a suspect with those shoes...

Uh. Everyone else's outfits are fine... Just fine... Look, I was fucking distracted by Sherlock.



Overall Thoughts

I put this one my list on Max a few months back and then promptly forgot about it. Then, I wanted to watch Elementary, but couldn't find my DVD of the first season. So I watched this to get my Sherlock Holmes fix. And oh. My. Gods. I hate that I waited so long. I figured I would only end up watching one or two episodes before my attention span was at its end. Nope. Watched the entire series. And do not regret it. I loved this show.

I do not recommend this to picky Sherlock Holmes fans. But I do recommend it to anyone who enjoys mystery shows with awesome female characters. Just remember it is a Japanese show.


That's all for this one.
Support me on Ko-fi.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment