Wednesday, November 22, 2023

6 Things I Did That Won't Get Their Own Blog Post - Part 2

Okay. Did not expect to do another one of these so soon. But here is another group of things I watched/read that I don't feel like I can ramble about for an entire blog post.


How to Become a Cult Leader

This popped up while I was scrolling through Netflix and I figured I'd give it a go. It was pretty good. Very informative. And Peter Dinklage was fantastic as the narrator. And I really enjoyed the satirical take where the show acts like a guide to running your own cult. Put a bit of a new twist on the same information. 

 

How to Become a Tyrant

Same basic idea as How to Become a Cult Leader but about tyrannical dictators. I enjoyed this one as well. And saw there was a third one released that I need to watch. 


Kingwood

Indians Plus The First 150 Years

by W.G. ("Bill") Williams

It's a history of the small town I live in. And it is interesting. But... Probably not great for anyone younger than my generation. Not being condescending or anything. But the writer used businesses and buildings to describe areas that are no longer there. While I know where he is talking about when he says "where Foodland was located", my kid doesn't. 

Oh, this book also made me realize that I know, like, five street names in the town I have lived in for almost 40 years. Well, I know more street names now. But still unsure of where they are located. 

It was an interesting read though. In my opinion, it could do with an update and more pictures. 


Resident Evil: Vendetta

Mr. Boulderpunch (Chris Redfield) is after Glenn Arias, an arms dealer that is out for revenge for the government killing his wife, friends, and family at his wedding. Dude has zombies now! Anyway, Chris goes to Rebecca Chambers for help. And then they go find Leon Kennedy for his help. 

Fun movie set in the universe of the games. Those fight scenes were fucking great. Leon and Rebecca both look beautiful. Chris has some weird facial expressions that made me laugh at inappropriate times. But, like I said, fun movie.


Haunted West Virginia by Patty A. Wilson

This book isn't bad. The section on the West Virginia State Penitentiary is bad.

This is a book of ghost stories, which means I take every story with a grain of salt. I am not fact-checking every story. Saying that... I did fact-check something in the section talking about the West Virginia State Penitentiary. Not because I cared that much, but because I was pretty sure the book was wrong and I had to check. The book was wrong. For future reference to everyone: CHARLES MANSON DID NOT SERVE TIME AT THE WEST VIRGINIA STATE PENITENTIARY. This is not the first time I have come across this bit of misinformation, and it probably won't be the last. I don't know why this book even mentioned it. And the rest of the section for the Penitentiary wasn't much better. It mostly just gives history of the prison, misspelled Aryan, and then finishes up with some vague bits about spooky things. Which, I would have been okay with. But I was cranky at this point because of the Charles Manson thing. 

Also, to clear things up: Charles Manson did not serve time at the prison in Moundsville, WV. His mother did. After he was in prison for orchestrating the Helter Skelter murders, he sent a letter asking to be moved to the WV State Penitentiary. He was denied. Also, it took me less than a minute to fact-check that. Here's an article that includes the letter Manson sent.

All of that aside: Book wasn't bad. Just a collection of spooky stories that take place around West Virginia. Fun read.


The Haunted Mansion (2003)

Somehow I never watched this before. Which is real weird since my kid loved it.

This is a good horror movie for kids. I would say middle school age though. I mean there is a suicide before the opening credits end. And some bits might be too scary for younger kids. But that is my opinion. If you wanna show it to your younger kids that is your choice. Hopefully, you know what they can handle.

The movie is about a couple who are real estate agents who think they are going to get to sell a big, old house. But what they get is a house full of ghosts and a curse. 

It's just a fun movie. Gotta watch the new one now. 

I might actually come back to this and do an entire blog post about it at some point.

 

That's all for this one. Have a tolerable Thanksgiving to anyone who celebrates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment