Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Stephy Watched Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Hello there.

So... Time for Attack of the Clones.

Yes. There will be spoilers. 


I want to go home and rethink my life.

- Elan Sleazebaggano


About/Summary

The sequel to The Phantom Menace (and the prequel to all the rest of the movies) was released in 2002. Directed by George Lucas. Written by George Lucas and Jonathan Hales.

After an assassination attempt against Senator Padme Amidala, the Jedi send Anakin to protect her while Obi-Wan tracks down the assassin. 


Content/Trigger Warnings

Violence

Character Death


Tropes

As I have been doing, here's a list of tropes on tvtropes.org. And I will be rambling about a few.

Battle in the Rain: I loved the fight between Jango and Obi-Wan. If only they would have kissed... I mean *clears throat* Great fight. Great fight. should have kissed and then raised the clones as their children and retook Mandalore and I'm gonna go read fanfiction...

Time Passage Beard: Obi-Wan's beard is lovely. Five stars.

Toxic Friend Influence: Why are the Jedi allowing Palpatine to spend that much time alone with a child? I know Anakin is, like, 19 in this movie, but it is hinted at in this movie, and the next, that Anakin spends a lot of time with Palpatine. That they're "friends". Why? I would not let a former slave child hang out with an old man who is the head of the government. Just... No. Obi-Wan, do better.


Characters/Casting

Ewan McGregor is still doing great. Five stars, Mr. McGregor.

I need more Dexter Jettster in my life.

The rest of the cast did the best with what they had.

Also, Jango Fett is a super interesting character that the movie didn't go into. 

 

Atmosphere/Setting

I like that each planet has its own sort of vibe. We see Coruscant, Naboo, and Tatooine again. And we also get a couple new planets, Kamino and Geonosis. 

Dex's diner looked like a small hometown diner and it was great.


Writing

Oh. The writing. Most of it wasn't bad. But the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was just... It was bad, in my opinion. Anakin is supposed to come off as someone that could (does) fall to the darkside in his dialogue and actions. But they could have made it a bit more subtle. Because, he was throwing up all sorts of red flags and Padme was just ignoring them.


Plot

The main plot is good. The romantic subplot made me cringe so hard at times that I think I pulled a muscle.


Animation/Special Effects

As I said on my ramblings of The Phantom Menace, a lot of the special effects didn't age well. But, they did the best with the technology at the time. 


Costuming

Costuming was great, again. Padme's still looking great. 


How diverse is it?

About as diverse as Phantom Menace was. 


Overall Thoughts

If it wasn't noticeable, the romance between Anakin and Padme annoyed me. As I said earlier, Anakin was throwing up red flags constantly and she ignored them. He slaughtered a group of people and Padme just shrugged it off. Also, they met 10 years before this movie, spent a few days together, and then spent a few more days together in this movie and then they got married. I am used to speed-run romances, I mean, I read romance novels, but this just seemed very quick. And made little sense to me.

Aside from that, it was overall a good movie. But it could have been better 🤷🏻‍♀️


No comments:

Post a Comment