Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Stephy Reads Salem's Lot by Stephen King

 Hello There!

Oliver has no idea why I do this to him.


Trigger Warnings:

Child Abuse

Animal Death

Homophobic Slurs

Child Death

Death

Blood

Ableist Language

Rape (mentioned, slight description, implied)


Salem's Lot is about Jerusalem's Lot. Which is full of a lot of shit people. Ben Mears, a writer who once lived in the Lot when he was a kid, returns hoping to get some inspiration. Which is the first of a long list of Bad Ideas. Well, maybe not the first. The first was probably building the town... Ben arrives in town at the same time as two other men. Business partners. And I don't mean that as some sort of innuendo. They ain't fucking. Which... Yeah, I'm okay with that. Straker and Barlow, are their names. They open an antique store. They also buy the spooky old house on the hill. Which most fictional small towns seem to have one of those. Is that just a fiction thing? Do real-life small towns all have a spooky house on the hill that teenagers dare each other to go into at night? If so, I am once again very disappointed in the town I live in. Not a single spooky old house, on a hill or not.

Soon after Ben arrives in the Lot, he meets Susan Norton and they begin dating. Then a dog is murdered. A kid goes missing after that. And ya know what, it just starts going downhill fast after that. 


I really enjoyed this book. Even though it took me over a month to read. But that's my fault. I read it before and I was constantly like "Oh, bad part is coming up" and I'd go read fluffy fan-fiction for a few days. Last time I read it, it only took me a couple days. I enjoy Stephen King's writing. And I really enjoyed that even though Ben was the main character, we got chapters that dived into the other characters. Which most were shit and deserved the deaths they received. 

There is a hint that the people in town are shitty because there is some Evil in the old spooky house on the hill. I'm not sure if that is actually something or I was reading a bit too much into it.

Most of the characters in this book are horrible. I hate them. I think they're supposed to be that way, though. Well, for the most part. I did really like Matt and Mark though. Matt was totally my favorite character. 

The first time I read this I remember being on the edge of my seat needing to know what happened next. It was suspenseful and terrifying at times. I only remembered big plot points this time, so I was still on the edge of my seat about things. Though, like I said earlier, sometimes I would remember a bad thing was going to happen and then I avoided the book for a couple days. 

This probably isn't my favorite vampire book (oh yeah, forgot to mention, there are vampires). But this ranks pretty high on the top ten list. And the only reason it doesn't rank higher is because I do prefer romance shit. So give me those pretty vampires that want to make heart eyes at each other. But as far as horror vampires, yeah this book is pretty high on the list. 

One terrifying point is how quickly the vampire practically took over the town. Dude worked smart and fast. So, good job.

Aaaand... That's really all I got. 

If you follow me on Tumblr, I will be posting some Things I Say While... about this book. I've been kind of slacking on those. I apologize. I really miss doing them.


Support me on Ko-fi!

And see y'all on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment