Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Stephy Reading Challenge - Book 3

 

Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole

Another re-read.

I'm pretty sure this was the first book I read in the Immortals After Dark series. I am a pro at picking up books in the middle of a series, becoming obsessed with series, and having to find all the other books in the series. 

Okay. So. The book.

Néomi Laress is a ghost. She was a famous ballerina in the 1920s, but in this book, she's a ghost. A ghost stuck in her house. A house in which three vampires drag their half-mad vampire brother to and lock him up. They have a good reason. I promise. 

Conrad Wroth is the half-mad vampire. He is tormented by hallucinations because he drank a shitload of people to death. So, he thinks Néomi is another hallucination. And is kind of cranky about it cause, damnit, she's pretty.

Of course, they fall in love by the end of the book. It's a romance book. That's how it works. And I have no issues with it. The love story is cute. Has a solid conflict that you know they'll work through but you have that small bit of "what if they don't?" feeling as you read. 

Okay. I'm gonna just ramble about random bits I liked.

Conrad is a virgin. Look, a lot of straight romance novels I've read have had the female lead being a virgin. It's a trope. I don't hate it, but sometimes it can get a little boring to read that once again, the female lead is "untouched by man" or some shit. Not this time. Conrad, big bad sexy vampire, is a virgin. I liked that change-up. 


Like I said, this is a book from the middle of the Immortals After Dark series. It's book... Four? I think? And while things that happened in the previous books are mentioned, it's not enough to distract from the plot of this book. And there is a handy-dandy cheat sheet in the front of the book that gives some details about the various races of The Lore. A lot of the characters make appearances in all the books which is nice. All the races have their own strengths and weaknesses. And they are described fantastically. As are the settings. 

Nix.
I cannot talk about any of these books without mentioning the greatness that is Nix the Proto-Valkyrie and Soothsayer Without Equal. Nix became my favorite character rather quickly and I do a little cheer every time she pops into any of these books. She is a little crazy. Scheming as all hell. And just oh so fun.

All the characters are great. Each character has a solid personality. Every time someone new was introduced, you got a feel for who they were as a person. Which was outstanding since there is such a big cast of characters. 

Okay. I think that's all I have to say. Aside from repeating "Soooooo gooooooood" over and over. Highly recommend this entire series. And I really need to get on reading the entire series. There are a few of the later ones I haven't read yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment