Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Stephy Read The Stand by Stephen King

 “That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”

 

About/Summary

A superflu hits and wipes out the majority of the population of the world. Now the survivors must deal with the aftermath. Oh, and there is a whole Good vs Evil thing happening.



Content/Trigger Warnings

There are soooo many, and I know I will forget some (a lot...). Sorry. 

Death

Gore

Sexual Assault (both offscreen and onscreen)

Nice Guy ™

Murder

Racial slurs

Abelist slurs

Major Character Death

Minor Character Death

Suicide

Animal Death

Cannibalism

Physical Abuse


Okay. I might have gotten most of them. For reference, most of my notes for this book were trigger warnings. Cause godsdamn. Just... If you have triggers, assume they are in this book.

 


Characters

Stephen King is very good at writing characters that I want to die. But he's also good at writing characters that I don't want to die. And then he just kills them all. 

There were a lot of characters in this book. I forgot about a few. But it's fine, a lot of them died. Still sad about some of the deaths. Still celebrating some.

 Kojak was my favorite character... Yes. The dog. And (spoiler) he lives through the whole book. In case anyone was worried (I know I was). The dog lives!

 I also liked Glen, Nick and Stu. 

Fucking hated Harold. Fuck him.



Writing

Very typical Stephen King writing. If you like his stuff, you'll like the writing of this one. If you don't like his stuff, you're not gonna like this one. I liked it well enough. 


Plot

As I said in the first little bit, a superflu hits the world and the majority of the population is dead. So, the first part of the book is dealing with that. The flu, how quickly it spread, and a lot of people dying. The second part has the survivors traveling. One group is going to where Mother Abigail lives. The other group is off to Vegas and Randall Flagg. 


Romance

Let's just say Stephen King is not a romance writer. Aside from a couple toxic relationships, I felt nothing for the romances. 



How diverse is it?

Not very.


Overall Thoughts

Y'all, it took me six months to get through this book. 

Six.

Months.

I will say that it didn't take me this long because I didn't like the book. It is a good book. But it is fucking heavy, so i had to take a lot of breaks and read something easier for a bit. There was no moment where I wanted to stop reading the book completely, I just needed some breaks.

 It's not my favorite Stephen King book. Carrie still holds that honor. But it's still a good read. 

 

That's all for this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment