Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Star Wars Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta

Up to the third book in the Young Jedi Knights series.

Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, and Lowbacca go to Coruscant. While there they introduce Tenel Ka and Lowbacca to Zekk, an old friend. Zekk is an orphan from Ennth. He had made his way to Coruscant and survived by finding bits and pieces in the undercity that he could sell. He lived with Peckhum, the guy that delivers supplies to the Jedi Academy. 

They have a little adventure with Zekk, and the twins invite him to some diplomatic dinner one evening. Which, this doesn't go great. In the end, Zekk feels embarrassed and leaves. And while he's walking around feeling sorry for himself, Tamith Kai shows up. She tells Zekk he's force sensitive and that he could be a dark Jedi. And Zekk agrees. Sort of. He doesn't agree right away, but in the end, he does. 

And that's basically it. They go back to Yavin 4 and Luke tries to give them some realistic hope about their friend. The end. Time for the next book.


Okay. So, when I was a kid, Zekk quickly became one of my favorite characters. I don't really know why, but I fell in love with him. And I still fully enjoy his character. And as a kid, this was my least favorite book in the series because I was so angry at Jacen and Jaina for not knowing their friend was force sensitive. I'm still a little angry about it, but less so. I get why they didn't know. And I understand why Zekk felt that going to the Shadow Academy and becoming a dark Jedi was a good idea. Though, I gotta say, if I was in Jaina's situation where I had this good friend, I would beg Luke to test him for force sensitivity. Even if he showed no signs. But... I'm a little clingy with people I care about. 

This is still not a favorite book of mine from this series. I enjoyed the family bits with the Solos. But the book still leaves me feeling kind of sad. Even though I know what happens in the later books.

It is not a bad book. Great plot. Characters are great. I just have some weird childhood anger towards it.


That's all for this week. Follow me on the socials. 


“I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone.” 

~ Henry Rollins

No comments:

Post a Comment