Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Six Streaming Recommendations

 I am still not sure about that title... But I got nothing else right now so I'm gonna go with it for now.

I stream a lot of stuff. I have access to a satellite but I mostly just watch Schitt's Creek repeats on it when our internet goes out. I also have a massive amount of DVDs and blu-rays. But honestly, I stream more than anything because it is more convenient. 

I thought about doing a post for every cool show, movie, and YouTube channel I come across, but I wasn't sure I could stretch me rambling about one thing into a long enough post. So! A list post!

Here's how it's going to work. I will list six things, what platforms you can stream them on, and then I will ramble a bit about them. Hope you enjoy it and maybe find something new to watch.


CJUGames (Linky Link! )



Available on: YouTube

Warnings: He plays a lot of horror games. So, any warnings you think those might have, apply.


CJU (I think his name is Chris, but there are already too many Chrises in my head so it will always be CJU to me) does video game playthroughs. Mostly horror games. His earliest videos don't have commentary, but I much prefer the ones with commentary. He's a funny guy. He has the same sort of sense of humor as me, so it's almost like watching a friend play the game. He does entire playthroughs from beginning to end. And most of the time he reads all the notes and such that you come across in games, which I like. I especially like his videos because I DO NOT like playing horror games for the most part. Too scary. But I love the plots and such for so many of those games. So, I want to see what happens, but my pansy ass will never get far enough in the games to actually know what happens. I enjoy all of his playthroughs, even if the game is shit or something I'm really not interested in. I highly recommend checking out his channel. He is funny, well-spoken, and has a nice voice. And it is fucking hilarious watching him slowly lose his mind during some games. Mother is a good example of this.


Hawkeye



Available on: Disney+

Warnings: Violence. Previous major character death


I thought about starting off with something else from Disney+. There are so many great options on there and I wasn't sure if I wanted to start with something from the MCU. But fuck it. Y'all are gonna have to deal with me gushing about Hawkeye.

Clint Barton became one of my favorite comic book characters around the time that the first Avengers movie came out. Before that, I barely knew he existed. Now the boy is in my top five comic book characters. 

I started reading the Matt Fraction Hawkeye run and was gone for the dumpster fire that is Clinton Francis Barton. And the more I watched the MCU the more I was sad that they weren't utilizing him at all. Much less showing off his character and abilities.

And then the show came out.

Oh. My. Gods.

There was just so much good with the show. Katie Kate and Lucky and the Tracksuit Mafia and the trick arrows. There was humor and heartbreaking moments that were both well done and not overused. 

And Laura Barton! Oh, that woman deserves so much love. She is so awesome and the show lets that awesomeness shine with little screen time.

The show gave me the Hawkeyes I have been wanting for years. And I was very happy during every episode. Even while I was crying at a few spots.


Harley Quinn



Available On: HBOMax

Warnings: A lot of profanity. Mentions of bestiality (Batman fucks bats, yo). So much violence. Temporary character death.


This show is one of the best things I've seen in a while. It has two seasons as of this writing and both are fucking great. Animation is great. Voice acting is spot on. Plot, characters and all of that is fantastic. And the lack of Joker is just the best. I mean, he's there, but not often enough that I got annoyed. I am so tired of seeing Joker in fucking everything...

The show is hilarious and fun. Not "too dark" as people say a lot of DC stuff is. Though, it is very, very, very Not For Children. Unless you want your kid to know that Batman fucks bats...


Only Murders in the Building



Available On: Hulu

Warnings: Murder. It is in the title, guys.


This show is about a murder. A murder in a building. Shocking, I know.

But seriously, this show is about Charles (Steve Martin), Oliver (Martin Short), and Mabel (Selena Gomez) who live in an apartment building where a murder happens one evening. For various reasons, the trio of true crime podcast fans decide to do a podcast about the murder. Hilarity and mystery follow.

I was worried at first that Selena Gomez wouldn't be able to shine next to the legends that are Steve Martin and Martin Short. I enjoyed her immensely in Wizards of Waverly Place years ago and didn't want her to fade into the background of this show. Which she did not. 

The show is a comedy and murder mystery and it blended both together fabulously.


Inside Job

(sorry, no trailer for this one, have a picture of my kiddo with their stuffed Mothman, for reasons. Mothman reasons.)

Available On: Netflix

Warnings: Drug use. Some violence. Some death of minor characters.


I'm not gonna lie, I watched this show for Mothman. I'm a weirdo from West Virginia that is obsessed with cryptids. I saw a trailer and thought it looked fun and planned to watch it at some point. Then I saw that the Mothman was going to be in it and I went from "I'll watch that at some point" to watching the entire series within a week.

The show is an animated workplace comedy. The workplace just happens to be a government agency that keeps all those wild conspiracy theories (which happen to be true) under wraps.

the show is a delight. Well written and quite amusing. Characters are fun and not annoying. 

Downside is that Mothman only shows up for, like, one episode. Need more of him.


Murder, She Wrote



Available On: Peacock

Warnings: Murder. Lots of murder.


I never really watched Murder, She Wrote when I was younger. But, then I started watching Pushing Up Roses talk about the show and I just had to watch it. Got the Peacock app just so I could watch it. Though, I do use the free version. I can deal with ads for Jessica Fletcher outsmarting everyone.

For those that are unaware, this show is about Jessica Fletcher, a murder mystery writer, who just keeps stumbling across murders that she, for some reason, helps solve.

The show is surprisingly wholesome considering at least one murder takes place per episode. Jessica has various nieces and nephews and friends and former students that she visits. And she is a kindly aunt type of person to damn near everyone. 

Some parts of the show aren't super believable, but c'mon, it's a fun little show. Also, I adore the friendship trio of Jessica, Seth, and Amos. Was sad when Amos left. But his replacement is pretty good as well. 



That's all I got this week. Let me know if you liked this format or if I should just ramble about one thing at a time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment