Saturday, February 15, 2020

That Is So Overdone... Give Me More


You know those things that are so overdone in movies, TV shows, books, fan-fiction, whatever? The tropes or cliches or whatever? Yeah, some of those are super boring. Here are a few that I love and need more of.

  • De-Aging. Give me a group of people that have no idea what to do with children, and then make them suddenly have to deal with one of them turned into a child. Extra points if the most disastrous person is apparently a child whisperer. I mostly see this in fan-fic and in a few kid’s shows.

  • Character A is talking. Something or someone shows up, shoving Character A out of frame. Bonus points if whoever Character A was talking to makes a snarky comment. A good example of this is in Avengers when Thor is talking to Loki and Tony flies through, dragging Thor out of frame.

  • Accidental baby acquisition. What I like about this one overlaps with the de-aging thing. The big difference is how the baby and/or child came into being. In this one either someone dies and they end up with a child (like in Raising Helen) or they somehow find a baby. No matter what, they now have a child or children to take care of and they are so confused. I just like watching people struggle at trying to keep a tiny human alive.

  • Fake-dating. The whole premise of any fake dating story sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. And I want it all.

  • Someone tries to leave the room dramatically, only to use the wrong door and have to come back into the room and try again. Bonus points if someone in the room is like "Do they realize that's the closet?" or something similar.

  • Tired Hero. You know that line in the beginning of the Incredibles where Mr. Incredible is talking about feeling like a maid. “I just cleaned this mess!” That’s what I think when I see heroes that just seem so done with dealing with all the hero bullshit. But no matter how tired they are of it, they still go out and save the day. This is also how I imagine all my Hawkes are in Dragon Age 2.

  • Who Brought the Nerd to a Gun Fight? Okay, doesn’t have to be a gunfight. I just like when a nerd gets drug along on some adventure and they spend the entire adventure panicking. There’s no hero moment for them where they pick up a weapon and suddenly kick ass. No. Their only hero moment is when they get to do what they were brought along to do. Franklin from Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a good example of this.

  • Hero Fucks Up. I don’t mean big fuck ups that probably resulted in some death. I mean small things. Like when Han Solo was trying to open the door in Return of the Jedi and closed another one? Love that shit.

  • Fish Out of Water. I don’t mean things like the unpopular girl at a popular party. That is boring. I mean like Ichabod Crane waking up after 250 years in the Sleepy Hollow TV show. Harry Potter is an example of this, but not one I enjoy as much. He adapted too quickly for me. I needed more confusion.

  • Dramatic entrance. I like one dramatic entrance per movie. I especially love the ones where a pair of double doors is thrown open to reveal someone. Dramatic as fuck and that is how I want to enter a room all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment